Saturday 16 July 2016

The Caterpillar - A mixed media painting


Hello my friends!
Today I am featuring another painting from my gallery.  is called "The Caterpillar" and I am fond of this creation.  I wish I had a better photo of it to share with you. The sentiment struck a chord with me and was the inspiration for the painting.
This was done on a 12" x 24" gallery style canvas.  I used a variety of different brands of acrylic paint.  I first painted the background blue, and then, keeping in mind where I was planning on putting the butterflies, added in some more colour.  I also did some mark making,  drips, used some stencils and stamps with archival ink.  Then I created a mask for the large buttterfly using a die I had and some low-tac shelf liner.  I added the black into the background, fading it out somewhat at the edges with another stencil.  I used the same colours that I used to create the large butterfly to stencil in the parade of winged beauties travelling up the canvas.  I used a white paint pen to loosely outline the butterflies.  After adding a few more details, I added my sentiment, mounting each line onto black card and finished it off with a spray varnish.
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed todays post!  You can see a few more of my paintings in my gallery if you are interested.  Have an awesome an artful day!

2 comments:

I read and appreciate every comment that you have taken the time to leave. Thanks so much, you will always get a reply!