Friday 5 August 2016

More Foiling Awesomeness!


Hello my friends!  Are you a fan of foiling?  Do you love that shiny goodness?  If you do, you will be interested in this post.
I was watching videos on You Tube the other night and I ran across one that mentioned foiling.  I am always looking for new foiling techniques, so I was anxious to watch it  And I am glad that I did.  Just for the record, in case you ever visit my post and read this, Kate Palmer, it is your fault that I went to bed so late last night!  But all for a good reason!  Kate was doing some experimenting with some Heidi Swapp mediums.  I didn't realize that now there is a foil reactive paint and a reactive spray.  She was testing how these mediums worked with foiling over some sprayed backgrounds.  Here is a link to Kate's video She referred to watching some videos by Heidi Swapp and discovering that the Heidi Swapp metallic embossing paste and her metallic screen ink were also reactive with foil.  I don't know why it never occurred to me to subscribe to Heidi Swapp's channel to get info on foiling, but I have corrected that now.  You don't have to own a Minc to get some useful information, it all works with a laminator  as well, which is what I have.  I didn't have the spray or reactive paint, but I did have the embossing paste and I also had the screen ink, purely by accident.  I thought I was buying embossing paste and later realized that the great deal I had gotten was for screen ink NOT embossing paste, lol.  I had resolved to use it in a similar fashion as the paste, but this was great news if I could use it for foiling. The gold ink and paste were specified, which I didn't have, but I thought I'd give what I had, a try.. Who needs sleep anyways?  My mind got going and I thought, I wonder if any  paste would work, I do have other gold embossing pastes, so I thought I'd try those as well.  Then I thought I'd try some gloss medium, too.


I had some Gelli prints that I had cut down to try and make some ATCs, so I thought I would use them to test the various inks and pastes.  I ran the various mediums through a Tim Holtz burlap stencil


I got out my laminator and my foiling scraps once they were all absolutely dry.  I just use a folded piece of copy paper as a carrier.  I started feeding them through the laminator.





I was so thrilled to discover that everything I tested, worked!  The gel and the embossing paste seemed to work a little better than the screen ink, but I will still be using the ink for foiling, too.  This just opened a new foiling world for me! 

I used Heidi Swapp embossing paste through a stencil on my tag today, and it worked beautifully



 I have been doing some experimenting with toner to try and make something like a toner paint  and ink, with some success,  but now this may take me in a different direction.   I am wondering if I actually need toner. at all .   So I have some more ideas and experimenting to do!.  In the meantime though, I thought I would try  using some other pastes and mediums  So stay tuned, and tomorrow I will share the results of the other products I am trying to see if they are also reactive with foil. .  I am an artist that loves to paint wit a lot of texture, so I have several different pastes and mediums to try.   Hopefully, there may be something that you already have on hand that will work for you

Thanks so much for letting me share some foiling fun with you.  If you think there may be other foiling fans that will find this useful, please share! 
Thanks again and have an awesome and artful day!

If you enjoy foiling, be sure to check out some of my other foiling posts!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Foiling is so cool! There are so many different ways to do it, this is going to turn into about a 3 part blog! Thanks so much for looking and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for looking and I appreciate the nice comment! If you enjoy foiling, hopefully you can join me for part 2!

      Delete
  3. A while back I watched a video about mixing laser ink toner with glue and using it to run thru your laminator and foil! It worked great but you cant use it with anything small with alot of detail cause the glue gets muddled up! I am excited to see this post and can't wait to try some of your techniques!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I'm so glad you found it helpful. If you haven't seen it already, there is a part 2 to this post with some more suggestions. I have also seen a video by biblescraps with the glue and toner, and that actually got me doing all this experimenting. I got some toner and have been doing a lot of experimenting with some success using it with stamps and as a toner pen. However, what I am finding is that you may not actually need the toner, it is really the glue that is reacting to to the foil (I think!) I am still experimenting and will be posting more of my results soon!

      Delete

I read and appreciate every comment that you have taken the time to leave. Thanks so much, you will always get a reply!